Thursday, September 20, 2012

Remember Who We Are


"The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."

~ Plato ~

I am humbled and shamed by the knowledge that I, like so many, have often taken my freedoms for granted. Although my heart has burned with the fires of patriotism since the time I was very young, in recent years I have allowed myself to occasionally slip into the soothing slumber of apathy. Disenchantment allows a sweet release from the heartache and responsibility of caring. For those who may not know exactly what the word "apathy" means I have provided the definition.

Apathy: a state of indifference, or the suppression of emotions such as concern, excitement, motivation and passion.

Our country is besieged with apathy. This indifference may allow some people to escape from hearing the call of duty, but it does not remove the burden of responsibility that lies on their shoulders. I was recently infected with a mild case of complacence towards public affairs. I have to admit that it was far easier to walk around with rose-colored glasses than it is to see the stark and ugly reality of our country’s current condition. But then one day, I looked into the beautiful big brown eyes of my precious little boys and I knew that it was time to take a stand. I am fighting for them. I am fighting for their future. I am committed to never stop fighting in any way I can for the preservation of the liberties that all mankind are entitled to.

We owe everything to the brave men and women who serve our country in the armed forces. Many heroes have fallen to preserve the sweet liberties that we take for granted. I pray that we will not allow their sacrifices to be met with ingratitude and laziness. It is time for the citizens of America to stand up and hold the line of battle on the home front.

"After the signing of the Constitution, Benjamin Franklin was asked by a woman on the street, "What have you given us, sir?" Franklin responded, "A Republic, if you can keep it." A critical moment in history has come; our Republic is in jeopardy. Can we keep it? If the answer to that question, as I fear, is "no," then we have no one to blame but ourselves." ~Glen Beck

We must remember who we are. We must remember where we come from. We must remember what we represent. We are the most blessed people on the face of the earth! We are free!

I have a dear friend who recently came to America from the People’s Republic of China. She sits with wide eyes filled with wonder during our frequent conversations as I speak of the election, voting, and the current issues that face America. Having the right to vote in a free election, the liberty to speak out and receive no punishment because of our beliefs, the freedom to openly attend church; these are just a few of our privileges that fill her heart with awe. These are honors that we must fight to preserve. Not just for ourselves and our posterity, but so that America can continue to provide a beacon of hope for those in other countries who can only dream of the freedoms we possess.

The following is a beautiful and stirring call by the talented artist, Krista Branch, to all Americans. She asks that we “Remember Who We Are.”



 
My favorite lines from this song are the following:
 
Will our children be the ones asking us one day
Why we didn’t do enough
Why we gave it all away”
 
Perhaps you don’t have the courage or self-preservation to fight for your future, but do you think you could summon the strength to fight for your children’s?




2 comments:

  1. I have always liked this account of Benjamin Franklin's chilling words...such a great reminder of what we have and our solemn duty to preserve it. Loved the song too! Thank you for your inspiring words, you have such a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, a wonderful post. Thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete