Saturday, September 15, 2012

It's time to wake up and take a stand

 “THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.”
 ~Thomas Paine~
I recently received a wake-up call, and this is what I found.
 
Our country is in turmoil. Those who choose not to acknowledge this suffer from a deadly combination of ignorance, indifference, and negligence. This November, our nation’s future hangs in the balance. The poor decisions of both Democrat and Republican leaders have brought us to the brink, and our nation now teeters on the edge of a lethal slippery slope. The integrity of our constitution, our economic and national security, and the protection of morality are at stake.

Yet, despite the current political crisis many are choosing the path of Thomas Paine’s “sunshine patriot.” They are burying their heads in the sand and refusing to stand up and fight for what they believe in or even to stand behind those who are trying to do so. Far too many are choosing the middle ground in an attempt to feel more tolerant, moderate, and intellectual.  Heaven forbid they be perceived as a political zealot! These “sunshine patriots” obviously look down upon those politically crazed people who are open about their political views and preferences. They would prefer that we keep our opinions to ourselves, dropping our secret vote into a silent ballot box and then shutting up and living with the consequences. Their party slogan is “I don’t care who you vote for, just don’t tell me about it.” 

This “I don’t care, just shut up” political party is becoming pretty popular in certain circles. I have even found myself falling prey to its enticing platform. Who doesn't want to appear moderate, informed, and please forgive my use of the vernacular, “chill.” In all fairness, I wholeheartedly agree with one aspect of what this party’s constituents propose, and that is an attempt to stop people from spewing hatred and personal attacks. Yet it seems that many are corralling everyone with a political opinion together. The ever ambiguous “grey area” is combining the angry and rude mudslinger into the same category as the informed participant in a civil political debate.

It is important that we are not deceived by the grey fog that separates the black abyss of incivility from the untarnished white of civility. I feel that the culprit in muddying the line between these two modes of behavior is a misunderstanding of the notion of negativity. In a world wrought with negativity and depression we have become overly sensitive to anything disagreeable. In our over-diagnosed and excessively medicated society, where avoidance or popping a pill cures all ills, we seek to avoid anything that could become disagreeable. Being a Christian, I understand that many other Christians feel that anything contentious or hostile leads to behavior that is not conducive with the teaching of Christ. However, becoming too passive or afraid of argumentative situations where negativity is sure to be present only makes us ineffective and incapable of standing up for what is right.

Politics can get ugly sometimes, and when one participates in even the most civil of political debates there is no doubt that a modest dose of negativity will be present as they attempt to justify what they believe to be right and expose the ills what they believe to be wrong. Yet this should not make us shirk from the responsibility of taking action and standing for what we believe to be right!
 
I feel that those proponents of the “I don’t care, just shut up” political party suffer from a deplorable case of hypocrisy. The same hypocrisy of those willing to enjoy the freedoms won by the blood of countless patriots, yet who would be unwilling to offer that same sacrifice if time and circumstance demanded it of them.  Yes, taking a stand can be unpleasant sometimes. But those who know what is right, yet stand by in indifference and fear of what others may think are adorning themselves in the garb of a “sunshine patriot.”  This is cowardice clothed in the facade of peaceful indifference.

I wonder if Thomas Paine’s friends, upon reading his famous discourse felt uncomfortable with his negative outlook. I am sure there were those who wished Thomas Jefferson would just shut up about how much he hated the tyranny of King George. There is no question that James Madison had a few acquaintances who thought he was a bit politically obsessed, I can imagine their conversations at a dinner party where they described him as one of “those people” that was “really into politics.” Oh, and I can just see some of the less than courageous friends of Patrick Henry inwardly rolling their eyes as he passionately declared “Give me liberty, or give me death!”  Every American should fall to their knees and thank providence that these great men, some of the giants of America’s legacy, were not cowed by the petty judgments of a few of their indifferent and cowardly contemporaries. 

The truth is that we need to stop distancing ourselves from our Founding Fathers. We must stop expecting other people to stand up and preserve our great nation; we must realize that WE are the people that can make a difference. I am in no means attempting to put myself in the same arena of intelligence or courage as our Founding Fathers, I merely aspire to be like them. I am committed to not sit back and watch as the great nation they built crumbles beneath the weight of an ignorant, spiritually misguided, and lazy populace.  

A man I greatly admire stated the following:

I don’t know how you feel…but I’d rather be dead than to lose my liberty. I have no fear we’ll ever lose it because of invasion from the outside. But I do have fear that it may slip away from us because of our own indifference, our own negligence, as citizens of this land. And so I plead with you…that you take an active interest in matters pertaining to the future of this country.   ~ Ezra Taft Benson

It is time to wake up from the complacency to which most Americans fall victim. It is time to realize that we owe future generations the same freedoms that we enjoy because of the sacrifices of our predecessors. It is time to take a stand.  This is not a matter of political parties or party loyalty; this is a matter of key issues and ideologies. This the moment where you decide what you really believe in and whether or not you are willing to fight for those beliefs. Do not allow yourself to be hemmed in by your declared political party. This is not about whether or not you are a Republican or a Democrat; this is about what you believe. Take the time to do the research and then make an intelligent decision you feel you can morally stand by. 

Right now, our nation is engaged in a war of differing ideologies, policies, and values. The Constitution is being undermined and its noble precepts are being dragged down into a sea of destruction. The moral fiber and economic integrity of our nation is under attack. Our prosperous way of life and the possibility of an American dream are in danger of complete annihilation. This current conflict within America is not a war that can be fought with weapons, and we are fortunate that it has not yet demanded human casualties. However, there will be casualties if the God-fearing people of this nation do not stand up and make their voices be heard. If they don’t, our sweet liberty and the moral integrity of our society will be subjected to a gruesome end.
 
War is filled with ugly battles and death. War is heartbreaking. However, when tyranny threatens to destroy the lives and liberties that we hold dear, we must fight, we must go to war!

The silent majority and the proponents of the “I don’t care who you vote for, just shut up” political party need to wake up from their dangerous slumber. It is time for everyone to awaken to the ugly reality of our situation and shake the numbing shackles of indifference or fear of what others may think aside and stand for something; because if we don’t start standing for something, then our inaction will cause us to fall prey to the actions of the opposition.

If the Founders could lay their lives on the line to throw off the chains of tyranny and create this great nation for us, if countless men and women over the last two centuries could give their lives to defend that hard won liberty, then the least I can do is lay my reputation on the line.
 
So there you have it. Judge me as a radical or political zealot. But I know I stand in good company.

The fact is, I do care who you vote for. And I am not afraid to say that those who are voting for Barack Obama are the Tories of the 21st century. In fact, labeling them as “Tories” is almost too kind, considering the fact that most Tories were probably God-fearing people who would have been disgusted at the current moral decline of our nation.

We currently have someone whom I believe to be a good and honorable man running for President, a Christian man who practices what he preaches, a man who believes in God and will uphold the traditional moral values of this great nation. If you believe in preserving the moral fiber and political and economic integrity of our society, then you should wake up and find the courage to stand with him. It is time to realize that we can offer much more than a silent vote. I am a housewife and mother in the suburbs, and if I can find a way to make my voice be heard, then so can you.  What can we do? Sound the wake-up call.  Get the word out, politely share your beliefs in any way you can. Take an active role in educating your friends and neighbors whether that avenue is through Facebook, your personal blog, a BBQ, or standing in line at the grocery store.

“We must make our influence felt by our vote, our letters, and our advice. We must be wisely informed and let others know how we feel. We must take part in local precinct meetings and select delegates who will truly represent our feelings. I have faith that the Constitution will be saved…but it will not be saved in Washington. It will be saved by the citizens of this nation who love and cherish freedom. It will be saved by…men and women who will subscribe to and abide the principles of the Constitution.”   ~ Ezra Taft Benson
                                     
 I am grateful for my recent wake-up call; I hope that this can serve the same purpose for someone else.  I would be greatly ashamed if I looked back on my life and realized I had been a “sunshine patriot.” What about you? Where do you fall in the ranks? Adieu to the politically correct and indifferent political party of “I don’t care, just shut up,” because if you don’t want to hear people talking about the elections, then move to a country where they lack the freedom or ability to do so.

If my opinion has offended you, then so be it. I am sure there are plenty of people on the other side of the political spectrum who would love to balm your wounds in the comforting embrace of complacent and lazy ignorance while they fill you with sweet lies and eloquent speeches.  

This is not an attack on those who find themselves slumbering. This is an invitation to wake up and start making a difference. This is the pleading of one patriot to another. This is a call to arms, because whether you like it or not, we are at war; and we had better start fighting.

Copyright 2012. All rights reserved by Kristin E. Perez

10 comments:

  1. Kristin, you are an amazing writer! It gave me goosebumps! This is how I feel also. I have tried to state my opinion on my facebook wall and I get cut down all the time for it. We are looked at as weak now because the president we have bows to other countries that hate us and what is happening at the embassies right now is proof. Thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words Laurie! We must not allow the barbs of those who want to remain "comfortable" in their indifference to silence us. It's nice to know that I am not alone in my sentiments. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the support and kind comment.:)

      Delete
  3. Kristin, you just said everything I've been thinking. Well done Patriot! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful to know that others feel the same way I do! From one Patriot to another, I thank you!

      Delete
  4. So expertly articulated and moving! Thank you for who you are and what you stand for. I think you're amazing and am very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Kristin for speaking up so eloquently. I've noticed that when I do speak up, those who are offended attack my intelligence, my education, or my background. However, they cannot seem to find any grounds at all to attack what I know to be right--standing for families, morality, hard work, defense of children, my right to protect home and property. Let them attack me personally. I'm willing to be the soldier, taking the wounds of their viscious words because I know I stand for what is truly right. Thank you for reminding me to be a patriot when the attacks are dark and cold. I can do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your beautiful comment! Thank you so much for sharing your insight, there truly is a great comfort when you know in your heart that you are standing for right. It makes it so much easier to deflect the vicious blows of others. :)

      Delete